[Coil-l] Informal query about "counting" library instruction

Jamie Holmes Jamie.Holmes at tulsacc.edu
Wed Sep 13 17:48:29 CDT 2023

Hello!

If you have a few minutes, would you please consider chiming in on this important issue:  Capturing Library Instruction Stats in the After Times (aka, our Post-Covid(?) era)

  1.  What all do you consider library instruction at your institution? (e.g., one-shot sessions, open drop-in workshops, online tutorials, etc.)
  2.  How do you keep track of it?
     *   How is it "counted," in the sense of reporting statistics at the end of the semester?
     *   How do you know if an online learning object (OLO) has been accessed, viewed, etc., by students?
     *   How do you - literally - keep track of it?  Is it all on a list somewhere on an instruction guide?
     *   How is it sustained, kept up to date, tested for broken links, etc.?

The instruction librarians here at TCC are looking into how we might more accurately report our instruction stats, now that many of our sessions are taught in ways other than the in-person, all-in-one-room the-same-time kind of one-shot sessions that were pretty much the norm prior to Covid sending us all home for a year back in 2020.

We did a lot of pivoting during the spring, summer, and fall of 2020, and we're proud of how we were able to meet the needs of our info-seeking students regardless of the location and modality of their course.  We made videos and LibWizard tutorials and added interactivity to our constantly improving research guides.

Now that we're (mostly) back in the buildings, our hallways and classrooms are full, but we're not seeing our live instruction requests come back up the way we'd expected.  We think perhaps many of our faculty members are sticking with the "other," but we're struggling with how to count and manage all of our activity and OLOs.

We are hoping to get some good ideas from our colleagues doing the same work around the state.  Please feel free to send any input you have to Jamie.holmes at tulsacc.edu<mailto:Jamie.holmes at tulsacc.edu>; I will compile and re-share to the list in case anyone might also find it helpful.

Thanks!
-Jamie

Jamie M. Holmes, MLS<http://guides.library.tulsacc.edu/prf.php?account_id=4190>
Reference & Instruction Librarian
Tulsa Community College, Southeast Campus Library
10300 E. 81st St. S, #7208
Tulsa OK 74133
(918) 595-8598 (office)
(918) 409-0495 (Google Voice)

Jamie.holmes at tulsacc.edu<mailto:Jamie.holmes at tulsacc.edu>
[council-for-online-learning-excellence-cole-member][cid:image002.png at 01D9E664.087E6700]<https://api.badgr.io/public/assertions/oho8R5B7SqC91ySgakBQ6g?identity__email=jamie.holmes%40tulsacc.edu>[oklis-presenter-2022 (1)]<https://www.credly.com/badges/fbfcdd83-4b81-4618-8b7e-17c37e19262f/public_url>
                [oklahoma-oer-summit-presenter] <https://www.credly.com/badges/e832fb73-f2aa-468b-97a6-c786265038a4/public_url> [oer-contributor] <https://www.credly.com/badges/b320ccf4-5b1c-4ac0-8435-676a8a0baf0f/public_url>