[COPLAC-IR] COPLAC Annual Data

Lashley, Brian (Institutional Research) LashleyB at easternct.edu
Fri Jun 3 08:13:06 CDT 2011

Hi all, and thanks Richard for your comments.

I want to express my strong agreement with best wishes to Lynn Boyce and
also with the opportunity to do some "QC" (or "QA") on the report before
it is finalized.

But I do want us to consider keeping the current practice of having the
academic data tied to the time frame of the most recently completed
fiscal year.  You may not currently be doing analyses that bring
together your academic and financial information, but now might be a
good time to begin.  A prominent new member of our state DHE came from
the IR world and strongly urged us to start looking at costs per FTE.  I
responded by doing just that, and I used COPLAC for comparisons.  I
found some interesting things about Eastern spending that no one has
ever discussed.

The spreadsheet version of the COPLAC report saves a ton of time if you
want to do that type of analysis, because the two alternatives have
drawbacks.  One alternative is to use the IPEDS data center.  I find
that to be more difficult & time-consuming, although maybe I'm just not
that skilled of a user.  But you also have to be careful about dodgy
IPEDS Finance report figures.  Another option is to use the Delta Cost
project.  That is somewhat time-consuming but moreover the latest data
are a couple years old.  It does have some major advantages that I won't
delve into here.

So those are my thoughts.  I'll be glad to hear yours.

Happy Friday,

Brian R. Lashley, Ph.D.

Assistant Director of IR

Eastern Connecticut State U