[COPLAC-IR] GRE Scores?

Miller, Richard A Miller_R at fortlewis.edu
Wed Apr 11 11:07:12 CDT 2012

I use the percentile section of our institutional GRE reports, and track the percentile distributions over time.

However, there's a really big caveat:

GRE Scores typically represent a very small portion of the student body.
They're a self-selected group, and so, the skills they demonstrate on standardized test scores likely represent an upwardly biased population.

There's another big challenge --- GRE can only send data if the test-taker identifies you, and gives permission to send results.
When I studied this issue, I estimated that we receive GRE scores for about half of the students we eventually find attending graduate institutions
(using the Clearinghouse).

In short, I'd classify GRE Scores as suggestive and encouraging, but not necessarily conclusive.

In terms of the quality of evidence of learning outcomes, it's just a little bit better than an anecdote, but that's about it.

The paid GRE reports will tell you the same thing as your paper reports, and face the same limitations (the student needs to identify your institution as a test score recipient).

I know a lot of institutions include GRE scores in their assessment documentation.  I do too --- but reluctantly and with lengthy caveats.