[Counselors] FW: FW: Counselor Question re: DHS

Nelson, Lisa lnelson at osrhe.edu
Tue Oct 15 13:02:44 CDT 2013

More comments:

Our school lawyers have told us that once DHS is on site, we are to excuse ourselves due to the legal issues involved. . If a student requests our presence, we can make the judgement call knowing we & our records can then be subpenaed. I have sat in on - but did not speak- in only one (in 8 years) when I felt the DHS worker was not handling the situation well & wanted to make sure the student felt safe.
Angela Schottel aschottel at bixbyps.org
 I normally sit in unless not asked to by DHS and/or the child's parents.  If it is a matter involving the police, then either my superintendent or principal sit in instead of me.
Ed Poley epoley at tyrone.k12.ok.us<mailto:epoley at tyrone.k12.ok.us>

If we can be, we will. I think it is a case by case basis. Some situations do not require us to be present, and others, we do most of the talking.
Crawford, Blake crawfordb at pryor.k12.ok.us<mailto:crawfordb at pryor.k12.ok.us>

Question:
Counselors, if DHS comes to see one of your students during school, how do you handle this? Do you as the counselor sit in with your student and DHS or do you allow the student to meet alone with DHS? I feel like I am supposed to be an advocate for my students and I feel like I am letting them down if I am not with them. Any suggestions or information would be very helpful! Thank you!

Shyanne Gatrost
Pawnee High School Counselor
918-762-3676<tel:918-762-3676>

Counselor Responses:

I ask the student. If they want me in there, I sit. If they are ok alone, I let them go alone. The tricky part is if you are the one who called DHS. If that is the case, I stay out.
Staci Wayant Swayant at putnamcityschools.org<mailto:Swayant at putnamcityschools.org>

We sit in on the meeting. I think it is probably our district's policy. There is a form that DHS has to complete and we keep it in our files.  I don't interject or ask any questions during their meeting.  A point to be aware of, if a school employee is present in the meeting, he or she can be called as a witness if a case goes to court.

Annette Long, LPC
Brink Junior High
7th & 8th Grade Counselor
A-G
405-735-4552<tel:405-735-4552>
fax 405-692-0170<tel:405-692-0170>
annettelong at mooreschools.com<mailto:annettelong at mooreschools.com>

I typically set in on those meetings.  I have had one particular case that was extremely confidential and court related.  That particular DHS worker asked me not to be there, so I abided by that.  I would have had to testify in court, so I opted out.  The student wanted me to be in the room, but I explained to her the legal ramifications involved.  I did however tell her that I would be with her if she needed me to be.
Carren Cantrell ccantrell at dale.k12.ok.us<mailto:ccantrell at dale.k12.ok.us>

I do not sit in. As a previous therapist with foster kids I can say that for the investigation it is better for the student and DHS to meet privately. If you are in the office to the parents, or whoever the allegation is against, might say that you talked the student into saying things and then sat there after to make sure they stuck with the story. It is better to allow them there space and then check with the student after to see how they are feeling and to stay away from asking directly about the investigation.
Mrs. Maurisa Afante
Counselor - 10th - 12th B-E-F-G-J-K-U
Moore High School
(405) 735-4718<tel:%28405%29%20735-4718>

I stay, unless the student requests otherwise. The student should be able to make that decision.

Alicia Brierton
abrierton at lawtonps.org<mailto:abrierton at lawtonps.org>

I always sat in there!
Cheri Gastineau cgastineau at westtech.edu<mailto:cgastineau at westtech.edu>

Angela Schottel
Counselor, R-Z
Bixby High School
(918)366-2238

Bixby Public Schools is an equal opportunity educational institution. This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you receive this message in error, you are hereby notified that Bixby Public Schools does not consent to any reading, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the transmitted information.