[Counselors] ASVAB and testing meeting question

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Wed May 21 13:25:14 CDT 2014

Regarding the ASVAB, we typically give to Juniors and any other students that want to take the exam. It is a great tool for career inventories and also for testing practices.

QUESTION: When is the date for the Counselor testing meeting that is located at Midwest City? I cannot find the date.

Thank you

Have a great day.
 Laura O'Hara, MAMFT
 DTC/School Counselor
 Cashion Public Schools

We do at Keyes and the interpretation they give the students is great. Backs up what they learn from PLAN and EXPLORE.
Nancy Reed

On Wed 21/05/14 9:45 AM , OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board
counselors at lists.onenet.net sent:

Wilson School offers the ASVAB every Fall to our Junior class and any other student interested taking this test. It can be a valuable tool for our students. Its free and I do not have to administer it. The students seem to want to take the test even if they do not plan to go into the military.  It's a great practice for ACT.
  swilliams at wpstigers.k12.ok.us

We offer the ASVAB each year to JRs and any SRs that want to retake it.  I really like the Post Interp with the Interest Inventory - gives kids another way to look at possible careers.

Our ROTC program schedules it.

We do at Buffalo.

I highly recommend that students take it, and stress that even if they do not plan to join the military, the information that they gain from it is very helpful on finding careers that suit you.

Mangum tests all juniors and whatever seniors want to test each year.   I do the career exploration that is provided.

Oklahoma Union does

We schedule it for juniors. When we get the results, we do the interest inventory on the website so the student will have the information, and can spend their free time on it later. The information is vast. It is a
fantastic career search and has may tools that would cost more money than we have to spend. It is all for free. Please check it out. We do not have the recruiters give the results back. We never have a good experience. We do the process ourselves.

We schedule this for juniors on the same day the sophomores take the PLAN. It is offered to seniors as an option. If you can get someone good from the ASVAB/ MEPS office to come out and provide an overview (we do this in US history classes), I think it is valuable information for the students. We have had military recruiters do the follow up in the past and I do not think it is as worthwhile for the majority of students because of the potential lack of experience (depending on who you get) and the focus on recruitment into whatever their branch of services is.

We test all juniors at Wister.

Donna Deaton
Wister High School

We do for seniors, but I'm not sure if I want to continue. If we do, I'll switch it to juniors.
Tammy Duncan
Alva High School Counselor
 District Test Coordinator

We offer the ASVAB in November every year--offered to both juniors and seniors. That is the only time that we offer it.
Melinda Cyr
Counselor for students with last names P-Z
Owasso High School
Melinda.Cyr at owasso.k12.ok.us>

I'm curious as to how many of you schedule the ASVAB test for juniors? My principal wanted me to check around to see if we need to keep scheduling it at our school.

Laura Anderson
Duncan High School Counselor