[Counselors] Any ideas on lessons regarding internet safety?

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Thu Nov 20 12:58:59 CST 2014

At my previous school we've had a cop come in and speak to our middle school students about issues which include how once they send it can be retraced.  Then the principal followed up with a talk about this issue.

Now that I am with younger kids (3-5) I incorporated it in with a bullying prevention guidance unit- Is this bullying?- as one of list of bullying scenarios and I teach them to not 'cybervent' because when you are mad you may say something you regret and have already sent and once it is there it can be retraced.  So instead of cybervent to talk to a trusted adult.

However, I know there are now all kinds of awful anonymous websites that kids are using.

There is a lot of information and some resources on the ASCA Scene.  The ASCA Scene is available to those that are members of the American School Counseling Association.  There is a once a year fee of around $100 to be a member.  The ASCA Scene is where school counselors from all over America collaboration about information and share resources through an online file cabinet.  It is really great!