[Counselors] AIDS Education

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Tue Jan 20 14:36:10 CST 2015

We use Making Proud Choices! curriculum. Our school nurse and I wrote a
grant a couple of years ago to be able to purchase the curriculum. It is
about $600 I think. It's very thorough, and I'm working with middle school
students, so we don't present the full curriculum. We do the bulk of the
HIV/STD lessons in 7th grade, since infections diseases are covered in the
7th grade science curriculum. We do 5 class periods with 7th graders, 2
class periods with 6th graders for an intro, and 2 class periods with 8th
graders as a review.  Our science teacher presents the curriculum while the
nurse and I are present to help with questions and other issues that may
come up. We give each student a blank note card at the beginning of the
class period to write questions on that they may be too embarrassed to ask
out loud. All students drop their note card in a box at the end of class,
even if they have nothing written on it, so that other students can't
figure out who asked questions. At the beginning of class the next day, we
answer the questions from the anonymous note cards.

*Angela Jones*
Grove School
Counselor
2800 N. Bryan Road