[Counselors] counselor question

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Thu Jan 22 09:07:35 CST 2015

I also do this at our middle school with the goal of seeing failing students about every two weeks (sometimes impossible, but that's my goal). We develop an action plan where we write goals and steps for reaching those goals (organization, planners, no more zeros, attendance, tutoring, etc). When I see them again we check their progress with the steps and how far they've come to reaching their goal (which is usually passing the class). We tweak the action plan as necessary.  I also involve the parents with things they can do at home to help such as checking planners or coming up with a reward/consequence system (because bad grades and detentions don't seem to work with most of these students). However, I have to say that many of these students do not have involved parents to help which is part of the problem. I find that holding them accountable for their goals and objectives is
mostly a positive experience. They seem to like coming in to talk to someone who really cares about them and is keeping an eye one them. I try to have them come back regularly even after they've reached their goal just to keep up the rapport, and let them know I'm so proud, but this has been difficult because I am so busy trying to see the kids who are still struggling.  Anyway, that's my plan even though it doesn't always work with every student.