[Counselors] Career Days

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Tue Mar 3 08:55:09 CST 2015

We do a Career Day every year at Beggs Elementary.
Parents/grandparents/former alumni come and speak to one grade level (1st -
4th) about their career for 15 minutes per class (we have four classes per
grade level).  Many times the speaker will bring something for the students
like rubber bracelets with the company name on them, etc.  You can usually
get a local dentist, health department nurse, minister, banker, etc. if you
are in a small town like we are.  We have coffee and bagels for the
speakers.

At the same time, we have Careers on Wheels set up outside: firetruck,
police, ambulance, Game Warden, electric company, Highway Patrol, heat and
air, National Guard vehicle---even a farrier brings his horse.  One year
Channel 6 in Tulsa brought their helicopter!  During the inside speakers,
the Kindergarten and Pre-K classes attend Career on Wheels.  Then when the
inside speakers are done, the 1st and 2nd tour the Career on Wheels and
then the 3rd and 4th tour.  The Careers on Wheels volunteers are here from
8:30 - 11:30, then we feed them Subway for lunch.

We also do Jr. Achievement in our school and don't have to pay for it as we
use recycled kits and get our own volunteers to teach it.  High school
students teach the Kindergarten Jr. Achievement.  Both Career Day and Jr.
Achievement introduce the students to careers during elementary school.

Judy Disch
Beggs Elementary Counselor