[Counselors] Counselor's board question

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Fri Mar 6 12:13:54 CST 2015

We had early release for a year or two for extended tutoring but not PLCs.
It became ineffective for us as incentive for students to stay off the list
so we went back to full day. We have several bus kids that sort of just
"hung out" for 45 minutes each Wednesday and sometimes they weren't sure
where they fit in. Eventually they walked to a local fast food restaurant
during that time and returned before buses ran. The kids that were released
early did not embarrass their parents nor the school in that early release.
Parents of students passing were on board but parents of students not
passing thought we were singling their children out so they would call
school and tell us to send their child home due to some family emergency
just so their child could leave when friends did.

I personally think the idea of early release or late start would be great
for PLC purposes but due to busing of kids, we are unable to do so here.
Our PLCs have mandatory meetings during planning periods every Wednesday.
Core subjects have common plans and have had for a few years so that isn't
an issue. The other 3 hours of elective planning periods meet and conquer
site issues like policy and practices (tardies, consistent rule
enforcement, substitute procedures, school culture, etc.) while core
teachers tackle subject related issues like determining essential
objectives, pacing guides, textbook adoptions, common assessments, etc.

"Buy in" with district administration, parents, and nay-say faculty as well
as answering questions of busing issues and schedule conflicts with some of
our fine arts and athletic programs can be viewed as the golden calf.
Everyone will be affected and almost never will "everyone" be on board, but
key players and those in power must be for it. BEST OF WISHES!!! If you get
it to happen, share the secret ingredient!

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 8:27 AM, OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board
<counselors at lists.onenet.net> wrote:

> What schools participate in a late start once a week? For those schools
> that do this how long have you been and what do you do on those late start
> days? Is it primarily used for PLC's, professional development, etc.  How
> did parents react to the initial change? And finally what are the pros and
> cons that you see?
>

> Thank you for your help!!
>

> *Kacee Poteet, MPH*
>
> Guidance Counselor