[Counselors] Student Cumulative folders

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Fri May 29 11:27:34 CDT 2015

Good morning counselors,

There has been discussion this morning about student records.  Melissa White stated, "It's recommended that the cumulative folder be kept for five years. The final transcript has to be kept forever."  She also sent the following, please see below.  Also, I have attached a paper that Art Schoffield shared with us at a summer institute a few years back from the OSSBA attorney.  Talk with your Superintendent too.  I hope this helps!

http://ok.gov/sde/sites/ok.gov.sde/files/UPDATEaccreditation%20standards_2014.pdf  page 20

210:35-3-47. School reports and records

Well delineated policies and procedures for records and reports shall be developed and kept current.

(1) Records and reports needed for effective planning, operation, evaluation, and reporting shall be kept relative to the following components of the educational program:

(A) Administrative operations

(B) Curriculum

(C) Guidance

(D) Health services

(E) Instructional supplies

(F) Media services

(G) School plant

(H) Staff

(I) Student activities

(J) Student personnel

(2) The permanent record of the student shall be current and filed in the superintendent's or principal's office. Standardized test results, student's school activities, attendance and citizenship dates shall be included as a part of the permanent records. Proper safeguards shall be taken with these records to protect the confidentiality of individuals and the human rights of all students. Health and immunization records should be kept separately.

(3) One person in each school shall be responsible for all personally identifiable information to assure that no unauthorized person will be able to obtain the information without written parental permission.

(4) Students shall be officially enrolled upon receipt of their immunization records as required by law and transcripts or grade cards. Information pertaining to grades, graduation tests, college admission tests, rank in class of graduating seniors, and other pertinent information shall be recorded on the transcript.

(5) Principals shall furnish transcripts and immunization records of students within three business days when requested to do so by school officials. [70 O.S. § 24-101.4] However, a local board of education may withhold a student's transcript or other records of the school relating to any school child who fails to return a textbook or make payment for the textbook if not returned. The term "transcript" includes any record of a grade or grades given to a student by a teacher. Local boards in their board policies shall include considerations for the inability to pay for a textbook and reasons for the non-return of the textbook. However, nothing herein shall be deemed to prevent any school child from actually receiving a grade that he is otherwise entitled to for completion of a course of study, from graduating upon completion of the requirements, or from obtaining any records or information supplied to the school or otherwise owned by the child. [70 O.S. § 16 -121]

Page 21

(12) Permanent records of staff and students shall be retained in the school. The duplicate of said records shall be filed in a building separate and apart from the building where the original copy is filed or shall be filed in a fireproof vault designed for the purpose of protecting permanent records. [70 O.S. § 24-114

Have a great summer!

Lisa Nelson
Coordinator for Student Preparation
Cell phone: 580.614.1328
lnelson at osrhe.edu<mailto:lnelson at osrhe.edu>
www.okhighered.org/epas<http://www.okhighered.org/epas>

"It's seldom the wisdom of the words we speak and much more frequently the gift of the time we spend, the love we share and the hugs we give." ~ John O'Leary