[Counselors] Getting a credit for failed course

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Fri Feb 26 10:52:52 CST 2016

Good morning, First I want to say I enjoying reading the streaming of the questions and answers from this connection.
Tulsa Public Schools let their students use their passing EOI to # out the courses F. It is a great tool for our students and I am happy TPS is following the States recommendation on school districts ability to use this. I do believe it has helped with our dropout rate from climbing higher.

Janet Stalcup  M. Ed.
College and Career High School Counselor
Tulsa Public Schools, Edison High School
*2906 E 41 Street *, 47-A***, Tulsa, OK 74105
T: 918-746-8542stalcja at tulsaschools.org<mailto:stalcja at tulsaschools.org<mailto:918-746-8542stalcja at tulsaschools.org%3cmailto:stalcja at tulsaschools.org>>
www.tulsaschools.org<http://www.tulsaschools.org/<http://www.tulsaschools.org%3chttp:/www.tulsaschools.org/>>

If we have a student that fails the class and passes the EOI then we give them credit for the class.

In Shawnee if a student fails one or both semester of an EOI course but passes the EOI we post a P on the transcript for the course. It does not
replace the F but gives the student the credit for the course and counts towards graduation requirements. The F stays on the transcript.

Cindy Bartley
Counselor
Shawnee High School
1001 North Kennedy
Shawnee, OK  74804
(405)275-3631; fax (405)275-9501
cbartley at shawnee.k12.ok.us<mailto:cbartley at shawnee.k12.ok.us>

FYI
>From Lisa Nelson:  Remember if an OK Promise student has a "P" on their transcript for a core class, OK Promise will count it as a "D".  This is what I share at the retreats:
For purposes of calculating the GPA for the 17-unit core curriculum, all courses except fine arts or speech, that are transcript with a P shall be assigned a grade level of D or the lowest passing grade assigned by the high school.
If no grade is given or if the grade is a Pass, then OK Promise averages it in as a "D".  They use the NCAA policy as their standard.  It is the only standard they could find and the law requires them to figure a GPA on the required core and the overall.