[Counselors] Grief help

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Fri Feb 26 17:27:15 CST 2016

I'm not sure how many others in your school have lost parents but the most beneficial thing we have done or used was create small groups sessions
where kids came twice a month during low emotion seasons and once a week during high stress times like holidays or last two months of school. Members of this group who graduated six years ago still contact each other during the holidays or on anniversaries of their parent's death. One year we had 17 kids who qualified and the smallest group has been 6.  It was a great time for each to learn from and lean on each other since nobody else could relate. All of the kids came from varied backgrounds and varied reasons for parent deaths. They all say that this was the most helpful thing that
helped them through the tough times.