[Counselors] Question

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Mon Jan 18 10:04:44 CST 2016

Here is what I tell my students about those kind of things:

In terms of "building a resume", it isn't going to look any better or worse than being involved in other extracurricular things (clubs, sports, service work).  The important thing is that they are passionate about what they are involved in.
All that said, in terms of giving them an enriching experience, an opportunity to learn a lot about the specific topic, meeting new people completely different than those they are around all the time, and for giving them a bigger picture of the world, then it is not a bad thing.  It can be a tremendous growth experience.

And even though they do cost a lot, there might be scholarships--just need to ask.
Carol Spears
College and Academic Advisor
Regent Preparatory School
Tulsa, OK
918-663-1002

Some are legit...some are money makers with good information and experiences...some are money makers with nothing worth attending...

I tend to follow-up by checking on who was the nominator for said honor. If it is a list serve I advise against attendance. If it is a teacher that
verifies the nomination then I check if the company is a non-profit. Occasionally Snopes.com will have an entry of inquiry to check as well.

Hope that helps!

We had a student that attended last year.  She had a wonderful time and said the speakers were extraordinary.  I do have the same thoughts, though, about the cost and them just trying to make money.  She did come back very motivated and excited for her future in the medical field and said that it really inspired her to want to be a doctor as well as increased her interest in specific fields of medicine.  I think for her, she would say it was worth the money to attend but she is a pretty high achieving/motivated student that probably truly invested in the conference!

Mallory Tecmire | Counselor/College Advisor
Mount St. Mary Catholic High School

Last summer I had a student attend something similar in Washington D.C.
She raised money to go and loved it.  She got some college credit from
George Mason for attending.