[Counselors] Help please

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Thu Nov 17 15:10:47 CST 2016

She should qualify for McKinney-Vento services. There should be someone in the district in charge of MV because it's a federal program.

Contact Anthony Kibble at SDE, Homeless Coordinator, 405-522-3260, Anthony.Kibble at sde.ok.gov<mailto:Anthony.Kibble at sde.ok.gov>

Yes, there are resources for those who are not citizens.  UCO has a program as does each university.  Financially it will be hard because they don't qualify for federal or State money.  A community college to start is the best idea and cheapest.  The barrier is not being able to get a social security number for a job once they would graduate.  Contact the admissions office for which ever school she is looking at and then determine who works with international students.
Ask them about their programs for undocumented students.
khromas at stillwaterschools.com<mailto:khromas at stillwaterschools.com>

We have German families in our community that make their children drop out of school at the end of the 8th grade. I have a student who has fought with her family to stay in school. The 9th and 10th grades was just a series of arguments and fights. This fall the father was insistent and kept the girl at home. She moved out and stays with some classmates and is attending school. We are doubling up her classes to try to help her graduate in May. She was born in Mexico ,so is not a U.S. citizen. She wants to go to college. She has virtually nothing. Are there any resources available for her?

Thank you, Nancy G. Reed, Counselor;
ng2reed at yahoo.com<mailto:ng2reed at yahoo.com>