[Counselors] FW: Policy for failing English class

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Thu Jan 12 09:12:55 CST 2017

BIXBY:  How much do you charge for credit recovery classes?  How does that work?  Right now we have kids of all grades in credit recovery during the school day and others who utilize the Tulsa Tech Success Center.  They have to pay at Tech, but not here.

So, do the other lower level students take more than one English class in a regular classroom setting if they have failed?  For example, a student fails English I, then they become a sophomore and they are enrolled in
English I and English II in the classroom?​

We use Edgenuity and let students take English, Math, and Science online.  The Math is hardest to complete that way, but it gives them options to graduate on time.

Calumet uses Edgenuity if we cannot fit them in the class they need.  Yes, they may have two English classes.  We do not wait till they are a senior.  I want them take on track as soon as possible.  Sometimes we offer the Edgenuity class in the summer if needed.  If this doesn't work, they have to go to Alternative School.

Only Seniors are allowed to enroll in a credit recovery class during the school day and it has to be an online class that they pay for at Bixby.
Sandy M Thompson
Bixby High School
School Counselor
Last name A-G, 10th-12th Grade