[Counselors] Weighted GPA

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Wed May 24 13:50:42 CDT 2017

This circulated on the discussion board back in December about weighted GPA.

We do not weight concurrent and we do allow students to take concurrent whenever they can work it in. We also track eligibility.

Owasso high school

We encourage them to take anything they want that fits within the Regents guidelines of how many classes they can take.

We let students take evening and online courses too.

On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 5:32 PM OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board
<counselors at lists.onenet.net> wrote:

> On the subject of concurrent courses, does your high school let students take evening classes?  Is that part of district decision?
> *Kathy McCollough*
> *High School Counselor*
> *Chouteau High School*
> *Phone: (918) 476-8334 ext. 201*
> *Fax: (918) 476-1216*
>

> On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 10:14 AM, OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion
> Board <counselors at lists.onenet.net> wrote:
>

> Our AP courses are weighted at 5.  Our Pre-AP/Honors courses and concurrent courses are weighted at 4.5.
> *Sally Randolph*
> Counselor, A-J
> *Skiatook High School*
> Skiatook, OK
> 918.396.1790 Ext 2409 <(918)%20396-1790>
> *"Everybody can be great...because anybody can serve." -Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.*
>

> We weight all Concurrent classes. They are 5.on a High School 4. scale. We only count them as electives unless they are curriculum checked for High School credit, and we keep the course synopses on file (such as Freshman Comp 1 in concurrent counting as Eng. IV in High School). We use all classes to figure GPA for graduation, so Concurrent students have several opportunities to raise their GPA. We pay the fees if students meet the requirements to receive a tuition fee waiver (grade point and/or ACT or SAT score qualifiers).
>

> At Navajo we weight classes if they are core, such as College algebra, biology, government, and American history. Some of the ones that we don't weight would be psychology, microcomputer applications, and speech .
>

> We weight concurrent math/English/history/science classes if we offer an AP/PreAP equivalent. We give 1 honor point. We do not weight elective concurrent classes.
>

> *This is Wellston LOCAL POLICY*:
We weight AP and concurrent classes.  We also give 1 full Credit for college classes. The reason for this is because a junior can take English Comp I to cover English III and English Comp II to cover English IV.  We also have begun a new college algebra class taught by our math teacher and this class is for the students that cannot make the 19 to take concurrent college algebra.  This class will take the CLEP test in April at UCO. This kills two birds with one stone.
1. This keeps our seniors in a math class. (Both the math teacher and myself feel like this is VERY important!)