[Counselors] Indian Ed tutoring

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Tue Oct 24 11:08:48 CDT 2017

Each school district has a different tutoring program under Title VI or JOM.      Each of our programs fit the tutoring needs of your school district.
I have attached our program guidelines for you to look at.   However, you will need to check with the program in your district to see how they are set up. There is no cost if they are enrolled in the JOM or Title VI program of your district.    Title VI is a supplemental tutoring program. Our district has pull out tutoring for elementary and after school tutoring for secondary.     We do not supplant  tutoring programs that  that might be  available in your school.   For instance, if your school already has an after school  tutoring program for all students in your district for Math and Reading , then our Indian Education program  could only tutor for those subjects  that are not covered like History, Science, etc….

We use Indian Ed funding to pay teachers to tutor students in their academic subjects. Our elementary tutors are retired teachers because they work during the school day and our secondary tutors are current teachers (special ed teachers) and they work after school with students that qualify.

Thank you for sharing that info!  Sounds like a great way to get extra academic help for the students.
mwells at stilwellk12.org<mailto:mwells at stilwellk12.org>

​I am unfamiliar with Indian Ed. tutoring.  Would you please tell me more about that program?

Thanks!​

Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better. Pat Riley

Our elementary schools have tutors 2 days a week all day with a schedule  of pull out time for them...probably no more than 6 at a time. At our high school its offered M-Th afterschool for anyone that qualifies...they just have to show up....

We have after school tutoring for grades 1-8th. We have teachers who work for our program and they have about 4 or 5 kids per session, but no more. We will also have a student tutor (hired in from our high school) with the teacher as well. This way it helps with those who need individual help and others can work in small groups. We are starting to bring in staff to work with our kids during the school day who test low in math and reading and cannot stay after school or are too young to stay and they work on skills during the day. They work on the teachers schedule so they’re not pulled out of core courses. Some stay in the classroom as other people are coming into the classroom as well working with other kids, so they are not singled out. High school is during lunch.
Kim McCathern*
Title VI Coordinator*
Native American Student Services*
Yukon High School*
1777 S. Yukon Parkway*
Yukon, Ok 73099*
(405) 350-2032 (office) (in district ext. 2744)*
(405) 265-4585 (fax)*

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 12:40 PM, OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion