[Counselors] Counselors] School first aid kit

OSRHE EPAS PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Mon May 21 12:08:16 CDT 2018

I have a Physicians Care kit that we use.  The one I have has enough supplies to care for 75 people.  It includes the following:

                To Cleanse: 100 Alcohol pads and 25 Antiseptic towelettes

                To Treat:  1 Instant cold pack and 1 Triangular bandage

                Ointments:  6 Antibiotic packets and 10 Burn cream packets

                To Protect:   100 Adhesive plastic bandages, ¾” by 3”, 30 Junior plastic bandages, 4 Knuckle plastic bandages, 4 Fingertip plastic bandages, 2 Extra-large Bandages

                Non-Adhesive Bandages:   2 Conforming gauze roll bandages, 2”; 4 Gauze pads, 2” x 2”; 6 Gauze pads, 3” x 3”; 1 Elastice bandage

                Tape:  1 First aid tape roll, ½” x 5 yds.

                Gloves:  10 Medical grade gloves

                Other:  1 First aid handbook

                Implements:  1 Scissors and 1 Tweezers, plastic

Hope this gives you some idea as to what will be beneficial.

Barbara Ramos
Director of Education
Sac and Fox Nation
barbara.ramos at sacandfoxnation-nsn.gov <mailto:barbara.ramos at sacandfoxnation-nsn.gov>
(918) 968-3526, Ext. 2046

I remember a few years ago it was a necessity to keep a hiv aids prevention kit in all teachers and counselor’s desks. Gloves, mask, sterile wipes and the like. Perhaps something like that could be possible and even think
about getting health providers involved because there could be some expense to it. Go on line and research how to make a first aid kit. State department should have some information as well.😊
(Lisa has sent an email to SDE asking for any information, waiting on a response)

Happy end of the year all!!

Today we had an open wound injury to a student..(nothing major).. however, as i was trying to do some basic wound care (we do not have a school nurse)...I realized how unequipped our "first aid kit" is.

As I started making a list of things we need to purchase, the question came to mind if there are limitations or guidelines we have to follow for a school kit???

Any suggestions?

Thank you!