[Counselors] FW: Online check sheet

OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Wed Nov 14 20:56:44 CST 2018

There isn't a checklist for switching to online courses. Look over this website including the law to confirm your policy aligns.

https://osocp.ok.gov/
Oklahoma Supplemental Online Course Program<https://osocp.ok.gov/>
Oklahoma Statute 70-1-111 makes supplemental learning opportunities available to local school district students using online technology in a nontraditional classroom setting, (i.e., inside or outside of public school site locations).

I would encourage counselors and districts to consider this:

https://osocp.ok.gov/about

 210:15-34-2. Access
     Only public school students enrolled in the district will be granted access to supplemental online courses. Each Oklahoma public school district shall provide enrolled students the opportunity to participate in supplemental online courses that comply with the standard curriculum of the public school. Once a student has made a request to enroll in supplemental online course(s), the district will be obligated to take necessary steps to determine the educational appropriateness of the request and to make online course(s) available to the student. Oklahoma public school students may take supplemental online courses from any online course provider selected and approved by the district that meets the criteria established by the Oklahoma State Board of Education. The school district shall not limit a student's access to supplemental online courses by either policy or application of internal or customary procedures. However, students taking supplemental online courses from a remote location will be responsible for providing their own equipment and Internet access.

Kristin Atchley, LMFT
Executive Director of Counseling
Oklahoma State Department of Education
2500 N. Lincoln Blvd., Suite 113
Oklahoma City, OK. 73105
Phone: (405) 521-3549
kristin.atchley at sde.ok.gov<mailto:kristin.atchley at sde.ok.gov>

We do not have a check sheet, but I would certainly include that online courses are NOT accepted by the NCAA eligibility center if we did have a check sheet!