[Counselors] Sex Education

OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Wed Oct 17 09:03:54 CDT 2018

We present the AIDS education to our 7th and 10th graders. A local female
nurse for the girls and a male doctor from the community come to present a
power point.  Each of the four presentations last approximately an hour. I
have the presentation printed off in a notebook to show parents in early
spring during pre-enrollment for incoming 7th graders and also during
parent teacher conferences in the fall right before the presentation. The
permission note the parents sign lists all the objectives that are covered.

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 9:18 AM, OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor
Discussion Board <counselors at lists.onenet.net> wrote:

> We show puberty videos with the school nurse and myself in grades 5 and 6.
> We show HIV/AIDs videos in 8th and 10th with the school nurse and myself.
> We separate the boys/girls in grades 5, 6, and 8, but I believe they watch
> the 10th grade video in biology classes with mixed groups.  We ordered our
> videos from Human Relations Media.
>

> We offer this in 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th grade.  The Choctaw Nation comes
> in and does a program with our students for 10 weeks.  It is a progressive
> program and the students start out with basic information and then get into
>
> more advanced topics as they age up.
>

> This is a great opportunity for us and it gets the kids attention.  Being
> presented by an outside source is something they tend to pay attention to.
>

> Mattie McClenny, Counselor
>
> Hugo High School
>
> mmcclenny at hugoschools.com
>
> 580-326-9648
>

> Our school partners with the Choctaw Nation. They come to our school and
> teach "Draw the Line. Respect the Line" to 6th-8th grade and "Safer
> Choices" to 9th-10 grade.
>
> Tina Jeffreys
>
> Soper School
>

> Our school partners with the Tulsa Campaign to Prevent Pregnancy and our
> Health Department who presents a 2-week curriculum called "Making Proud
> Choices" to all freshmen through their Biology classes.  Parents may sign
> an opt-out letter.
>

> Mary Beth Lykins
> Counselor: 10-12, alpha HAN - PA
> Booker T. Washington High School
> Office: 918.925.1019
> FAX: 918.925.1001
> lykinma at tulsaschools.org
>
> *Question:*
>
> We are looking for information about how and when schools present sex
> education? Please include your district name if possible.
>

> Cindy Bartley
>
> Counselor
>
> Shawnee High School
>
> 1001 North Kennedy