[Counselors] Advice please

OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Thu Jan 10 08:13:32 CST 2019

Yes, they would need to be in the school database as the name/gender assigned on birth certificate until legal documentation says otherwise. That doesn't mean that teachers cannot use the preferred pronoun in communication out of respect for them and their gender identity.  That was one of the things we discussed with teachers.  It may cause some confusion, but ultimately not that big of a deal.  We slip up sometimes and our student is patient/understanding about it, I think because he knows we are making an effort to be respectful.

Not sure what the legal laws are, but our school will not change their name or gender in the computer unless they have court documentation.  We do have a handicap bathroom that is not gender specific.

We have students who are transgender.  We do have multiple single bathroom facilities in the office.  They are welcome to use them or they must use the bathroom that they were identified on their birth certificate.

We do meet with the parent/guardian and discuss any other accommodations that they feel they need to be successful at school.  We won't change names on the system, we go by the name on their birth certificate unless they have legally changed it.  We had one case where every 2 weeks they wanted to change their name.  This caused us to have to put an end to it.  Our teachers were confused on how to take roll in the system and how to address the student every other week.  She has asked to be referred to as a male.  The parents did not agree with this and we went with what the parent has requested at this time until the child turns 18.

Mattie McClenny,
Hugo High School

QUESTION: