[Counselors] Transgender

OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Mon Sep 9 07:48:48 CDT 2019

We have had this come up previously...   After checking with our attorney,
we had a meeting with the parent and student and with their input, made a
plan for to allow them to use the faculty restroom and discussed the
pronoun preference thing. The principal and I followed up and met with the
teachers to make them aware of the situation, and discuss concerns like the
restroom and discuss the pronoun thing.  Our transgender student and parent
were very understanding of the reality that the pronoun usage might be
difficult to adjust to, but with everyone making a good faith effort to
respect his wishes, and the student being understanding not to take it
personally if someone messes up, it has worked out.   Some of our teachers
struggled and had concerns at first but everything eventually fell in
line.   It didn't seem to faze our students and we haven't had any problems
with providing educational services that are due to his gender identity.
Good luck.

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 2:52 PM OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion
Board <counselors at lists.onenet.net> wrote:

> Yes, need you must get legal advice.   This student will basically get
> their own restroom and dressing area if in sports.   You will have to
> acknowledge which sex they choose.
>
> On Sunday, September 8, 2019, OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion
> Board <counselors at lists.onenet.net> wrote:
>
>> Have your district contact your school attorney is my advice. We had a
>> similar situation but you have to make sure you are within legal bounds.
>>
>> On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 12:10 PM OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor
>> Discussion Board <counselors at lists.onenet.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Subject: Transgender
>>>
>>> I'm needing help on this issue.  I need to know where to start to know
>>> what is legal and what is not in the instance of a student wanting to be
>>> called by a different set of pronouns.  Said student plans to visit with
>>> admin on Monday.

>> --
>> *Danielle Tucker, M. ED.*
>> *Guidance Counselor*
>> *Navajo Schools*
>> *dtucker at navajo.k12.ok.us <dtucker at navajo.k12.ok.us> *
>> *580-482-7742*
>>
>> *"Laughter is an instant vacation." Milton Berle*

Jill Moery
Counselor
Hennessey High School

Phone:  405.853.4722 or 405.853.4394 (ext.222)
Fax:  405.853.4644
Email: jmoery at hps.k12.ok.us
HHS website <http://hhs.hps.k12.ok.us/>

--

*This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
system manager. This message contains confidential information and is