[Counselors] FW: PSAT Make Up Date

OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Wed Sep 18 20:53:25 CDT 2019

We do not do makeup tests for any PSAT or PSAT/NMSQT test.  However, if an
11th grader needs the PSAT/NMSQT test to potentially qualify for National
Merit, I have always have referred them to the information in the Student
Guide that tells them what to do if they can't take the test.  I do not see
that in the Student Guide this year but this is in the PSAT/NMSQT
Coordinator Manual on Page 23.

Entering Scholarship Programs if a Student Is Unable to Test
Advise students who are unable to take the PSAT/NMSQT to immediately
contact the scholarship program(s) they wish to enter. Scholarship programs
are described in the 2019 PSAT/NMSQT Student Guide. All requests for
information about another route of entry to the National Merit Scholarship
Program conducted by National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC) should
be mailed to NMSC (see the inside front cover). The letter must be
postmarked on or before April 1, 2020. The earlier a school official or
student writes to NMSC, the more options will be available for scheduling
test dates. The alternate entry request should include the student’s name
and home address, the contact information of the person making the request,
the name and address of the high school, and a brief explanation of why the
student missed the test. If you have any questions, please call NMSC.

National Merit used to say a student could take the SAT in lieu of the
PSAT/NMSQT but not sure how that is going to work now.  We also had an
issue last year when an Hispanic student could not finish the test and the
National Hispanic Recognition Program would not budge on letting her take
the SAT as an alternate test.  They said only the PSAT/NMSQT test taken on
a testing day would count.  The father took it all the way to College Board
and the NHRP Board and they finally made an exception and let her take the
SAT so if you have an Hispanic student who could qualify but can not take
the test be sure to contact NHRP ASAP.

2019 PSAT/NMSQT Student Guide Page 8:
The National Hispanic Recognition Program (NHRP) identifies outstanding
Hispanic/Latino students and shares information about them with interested
colleges and universities. To be eligible, you must be at least one-quarter
Hispanic/Latino (as defined by the NHRP), meet a minimum PSAT/NMSQT cutoff
score for your state, and have a minimum grade point average. College Board
National Hispanic Recognition Program 250 Vesey Street New York, NY
10281-6992 866-545-8467 NHRP at scholarshipamerica.org

We are giving the test on Oct 30th at Idabel.