[Counselors] FW: Grief

OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Tue Jan 21 16:30:58 CST 2020

See if their mother will send some pictures to school.  Assist them in making a small scrapbook.  This is an excellent time for them to share things with you about their father plus they will have their own book of
their father.  Another idea is to ask for shirts and assist them in making a pillow (let your FCCLA advisor assist you) from the shirt for each of them.

A Rainbow of Hope by Linda Hagler, M. Ed., When Dinosaurs Die A Guide to Understanding Death by Laurie Krasney Brown and Marc Brown and I Miss You A First Look at Death by Pat Thomas are all good picture books for younger children on grief. It gives a good starting point to begin the conversation and help guide a student through their grief. Linda Hagler's book is actually a set that covers multiple topics and includes ideas and tips on working with students.

I recommend* 35 Ways to Help a Grieving Child* by The Dougy Center, The National Center for Grieving Children & Families and* A Child's View of Grief *by Alan D. Wolfelt, Ph.D. These will help you.

This summer I had a student lose a younger sibling in a farming accident. I presented him and the family with the book "The Memory Box; A Book about Grief" and an empty box to place things in that were important. I put in a few things that represented the student that passed (frog stickers, batman stickers, etc. ). I also have a counseling agency that comes to the school for weekly sessions. Prayers for you and the family, because this is one of the most difficult things as a school counselor I've had to deal with.