[Counselors] Concurrent Class coding

OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Wed May 13 10:09:17 CDT 2020

Concurrent classes, Internships and Metro Tech do count for Post-Secondary Opportunities. Here are the courses and codes we used last year that qualified for Post-Secondary Opportunities. In Power School, there is a field that we check for each course that identifies it as college level. Each student only qualifies once, so if a student takes multiple concurrent courses or AP/IB or MetroTech or a combination, they only receive one point.
I pulled the attachment from our SSO Post-Secondary Opportunities Report, see attachment, so these are only the courses passed by students in our district during 2018-2019. When we have a question regarding how to code to receive the Post-Secondary credit, the Office of Accountability is extremely helpful.
Hope this helps!
Lisa Souza
Director of Counseling, Testing, Enrollment and State Reporting
Santa Fe South Schools
Oklahoma City, OK
405-306-4240

I make sure I have an active OCAS codes for all of our concurrent courses. I looked into the medical terminology code, and I do not see an exact match, so I would just find one from the "elective only" categories and match it up. That is usually how I match ours, and we have well over 100 different college courses are students either have taken or are currently taking.  However, medical terminology has not been one of ours yet.
Good luck!
Dr. Kristy Hernandez
Director of Student Services
Moore Public Schools
405-735-4298

It is my understanding that only courses with an OCAS code matching an AP or IB class are used for the additional A-F points, so if a college level course does not have an equivalent, it will not be used, and therefore, the subject code can be just one that is a close as you can get.

That is a hard one. We code it as health elective (3310) along with college health and college nutrition courses.