[Counselors] Discussion question regarding concurrent enrollment

OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Tue May 19 09:47:36 CDT 2020

Good morning,
I need to clarify regarding the concurrent enrollment that was on the discussion board. There was a chart that Santa Fe South used regarding courses and credits- IT WAS NOT FROM OSRHE.  Remember - Those are local policy decisions!

Remember when your school district is deciding regarding credits and GPA for concurrent enrollment, it is local policy.  Here is the law:
Pursuant to 70 O.S. §628.13, when a student earns college credit through concurrent enrollment, school districts shall provide academic credit for any concurrently enrolled higher education courses that are correlated with the academic credit awarded by the institution of higher education. Academic credit shall only be transcripted as elective credit if there is no correlation between the concurrent enrollment higher education course and a course provided by the school district. The decision on whether or not there is correlation between the college course and a course that is offered at the high school is at the discretion of the local school district.

I send you this as some districts may be discussing next year’s handbook and policies.  The school board makes the local policies with guidance from your administration.  I hope this helps.

I have attached our quick glance for concurrent enrollment for you and parents; also another guidance for you and your administration.

As soon as we know anything regarding concurrent enrollment at the institutions for the fall, we will let you know.
Take care!

Lisa Nelson
Director of Student Preparation
lnelson at osrhe.edu<mailto:lnelson at osrhe.edu>
www.okhighered.org/student-prep<http://www.okhighered.org/student-prep>
Office:  405.225.9257
Cell: 580.614.1328

“Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself.” ~ John Dewey