[Counselors] Weighted grade for AP

OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Fri Jan 22 10:28:43 CST 2021

  *   We do the weighted grade for AP classes but we allow per semester and don't require that they complete two semesters.

Kay Gilchrist

PreK-12 Counselor

Deer Creek - Lamont Schools

  *   We offer a 5 per semester and bump it to a 6 if they pass the AP exam...(which only helps 10th and 11th grade)...

  *   Gore High School weights AP courses.

  *   Yes, we do.

  *   Mid-Del does, but they also have to take the AP test. If they don't take the AP test, the weighting would be a 4.5 for an A and so on.
Becky Worth, M. Ed.
School Counselor H-P
Carl Albert High School
2009 S. Post Road
Midwest City, OK 73130
405-739-1726  ext. 3004

  *   At Mount St. Mary, we add a bonus of .018 to every semester of a weighted course (Pre-AP; Honors; AP or dual credit college course). We arrived at it by taking the number of required credits (28)  for graduation times 2 (56 sem. courses) and divided the 1 extra point value given by 56.
28 Credits X 2 = 56 semesters courses 1 extra value / 56 = .018

We did this because we saw students with the same number of weighted classes graduating with just 28 credits having a higher weighted GPA than
students who graduated with the same number of weighted classes but took more than 28 credits. This was because the extra point value given to a
weighted course was being divided by a greater number of total credits which penalized the student taking more classes. Simply put, you have the unweighted gpa plus (the total number of weighted semester classes times .018) Here is an example of the difference in how the weighted gpa is calculated.
Hope it makes sense.

Student A 4.0 unweighted gpa
                     student A 4.0 unweighted gpa
28 total credits with 10 semesters of a weighted course
          28 total credits with 10 semesters of weighted classes given 1
extra value (A= 5)
4.0 unwtd gpa + (10 x .018)
                          56 x 4 + (10x 1) /56
4.0 + .18 = 4.18 weighted gpa
                         224+10 / 56

                                           234 / 56 semester classes

                                           4.178857 wtd gpa

Student B 4.0 unweighted gpa
                   Student B 4.0 unweighted gpa
30 total credits
                                30 total credits with 10 semesters of
weighted courses given 1 extra value (A=5)
4.0 unwtd gpa + (10 x .018)
                        60 x 4 + (10 x 1)
4.0 + .18 = 4.18
                               240 + 10 / 60

                                         250/60 = 4.16666 wtd gpa
In REAL Mercy Faith,
Donna Williams Counselor/College Advisor
International Student Coordinator
Test Coordinator
Mount St. Mary High School
405-631-8865 ext 206

Subject: [Counselors] Weighted grade for AP

We are looking at revamping our weighted grade for AP courses and wondering what other school do.

Does anyone only award a 5.0 to an AP course if the student completes both semesters?