[Counselors] Drop out information

OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Fri Jan 29 12:43:34 CST 2021

I don't have any stats, but I have been teaching "GED" class for about 14 years now.  The current pass rate for high school equivalency tests is very low.  The test was modified and became significantly more rigorous 4 years ago.  The test is exponentially more difficult than any tests given at the high school level.  I have very very few GED students who have the time to invest in the study that it would take to pass the test.   I offer class only one night per week. That's not even close to the amount of time that a student needs to invest in studying for a high school equivalency test.  This requires students to do much of the preparation independently. If a student has ANY type of learning disability, there are very few accommodations for the test and they are VERY difficult to get approved.  Hate to say this, but if a student has a learning disability, it's impossible to pass all sections of the test.  This is just the reality of adult education right now.  Not sure this would be a persuasion for a student contemplating dropping out, but I have convinced several students to withdraw from my adult education class in order to re-enroll in high school in order to graduate.  Unfortunately, this has only been helpful to those few who are still age eligible to do so.  I would like to say that those few who went back into high school all graduated.   They went to an alternative school program in order to recover credits.
Amy Mauk
Federal Programs, Testing, Curriculum, and Gifted Coordinator
Coalgate Public Schools