[Counselors] PD

OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Tue Apr 5 10:26:36 CDT 2022

We are looking for some professional development for teachers (grades7-12) on any topic (not subject area specific). What PD have you loved and felt that you learned something?

One that I have experienced in my past educational background that was very helpful and insightful, and I truly believe that our teachers can and will appreciate it. Professional Development on Diversity and Working with Diverse Learners.

So many of our young educators don't recognize that with diverse students; whether it be cultural differences (students from different cultural backgrounds learn in different ways and express themselves in different ways), gender (boys and girls learn differently and often times boys may be

more hyperactive than girls)

We, as Educators need to be trained to recognize these differences, and how our kids learn and adjust in our educational setting.  For instance, an English teacher may expect students to be familiar with certain vocabulary, and this is great; however, the teacher may have to show a correlation of the vocabulary word by connecting it to a more common vocabulary term that some of the students can connect it with; It's not always that the student is behind or even that they don't understand, but with the student's life experiences and cultural background, the student may have never been

exposed to this term.

This is just one example of how a Professional Development on Diversity and

Working with Diverse Learners can benefit our educators.

Thanks for listening,

Shonta Watts, BBA, M.Ed., MBA

Academic Counselor Alpha:  De-Ho

Edmond North Public Schools

(405)726-7110 phone

(405)340-2870 fax

shonta.watts at edmondschools.net

Youth Mental Health First Aid was great training for our schools. We trained all teachers, secretaries, paras, principals, librarians, and bus drivers. It is FREE for schools!

amwhitewater at woodwardps.net<mailto:amwhitewater at woodwardps.net>

Don't forget that our office of Student Preparation for College Readiness will provide FREE professional development to your school using your PreACT scores. Annette Long and myself are available to visit your school. It is a great way to see your personalized data to plan, improve or maintain curriculum needed for mastery in ACT standards. Remember the ACT is a cumulative test; therefore it is helpful for your middle and high school teachers to look at your data.

Sabrina Wood
Coordinator of Student Preparation for College Readiness
swood at osrhe.edu
665 Research Parkway, Suite 200
Oklahoma City, OK 73104
www.okhighered.org/student-prep