[Counselors] Concurrent

OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Mon Apr 11 12:10:19 CDT 2022

Thank you for the concurrent schedule examples shared!

We have a 7-period day; students must be enrolled for 6 hours, so if they are taking a concurrent off campus college class we allow for a period of driving time. Any more than this would cut into their required 6 hours.  If they are taking the class online, no driving time is given as they can do that in a resource room during the school day or at home.  Most of our concurrent students take their college class 1st period of the day with driving time (if off campus) during 2nd period of the day.

Students must have a 6-hour day each semester.  The combination of high school and concurrent classes is a way to accomplish the requirement. They only get 1 hour of travel time no matter how many classes they take concurrently.  If a student takes 2 concurrent classes they then get 1 hour of travel and then will have 3 classes at the school, virtually or at Votech.

Yes, they can get drive time even if the class is online.
Example of a senior schedule:
1.            Advance Math 1
2.            AP Stats
3.            AP Bio
4.            Concurrent American Federal Gov
5.            Concurrent Comp I
6.            Travel Time

We do not offer travel for Juniors.
Example of a Junior Schedule:
1.            Concurrent History
2.            Anatomy
3.            Algebra II
4.            3D Art
5.            AP English Lang
6.            Cheer

I believe the state only allows one hour of travel time regardless of how many courses a student takes at the college. If a student takes the online course only, we still provide a travel hour.  Here is an example of our student schedule with concurrent college course(s) listed on in:
[cid:image004.jpg at 01D84D9D.1C934F50]

We are on an 8-period day.  Typically, our Juniors only take one concurrent class, although I do have a couple who are taking two classes.  If it is one class, they need to be back for our 3rd hour, which is usually not a problem for an 8:30 MWF class. Otherwise, they have to be back by the beginning of the 4th hour if they are taking two classes. This gives them the mandatory 6 class enrollment that is required.  Seniors are a little different.  It depends on how many and what credits they are still needing, and if the classes they are taking at college count for dual enrollment - for example English Comp 1 and 2 for Senior English counts for Senior English credit.  They are still required to be enrolled in 6 classes.  I have some that attend Career Tech in the morning, concurrent college classes the first class period or two after Career Tech lets out, and back with us for Band and Athletics the last two hours. I tailor it around what the needs and interests of the students are.  I have had a few who have taken enough college classes that it gets interesting trying to figure out what is a good option for them the second semester of their Senior year.  When that happens, I typically look at the degree sheet for their intended college major and contact the college where they are planning to attend for guidance in what to enroll them in concurrently. As to drive time, we take into account how long it takes them to get back when figuring out their college schedule and the classes they need to be back for.  If they need to be back for a fourth hour class, they aren't going to be given the ok to sign up for a class that gets out 15 minutes before 4th hour begins.  For our location, they need to have at least 30 minutes drive time allowed for.

One-hour drive time regardless of the number of college classes. You just have to show as far as scheduling purposes that they are enrolled in 6 graded hours per day, whether that is cc classes, high school classes or career tech.

Typically, our students are given one period per college course taken plus one period/hour for drive time.  If the course is online, we give them the option to have an extra hour as a free concurrent hour in lieu of drive time if their schedule is heavy, or we may give them a light duty student aide period.  Our online concurrent students must report to the library during their concurrent hour to work independently (and to keep them focused and not roaming hallways).  If they have a 1st or 7th period concurrent hour, in some cases seniors may be permitted to stay off campus and work on their own.

I've attached a schedule for a student who takes an online computer class concurrently.  Our students must be enrolled in 6 hours a day.  We follow the state regents calculation of hours in determining how many classes they are enrolled in between here and the college.  The drive time actually varies, depending on what they need at the high school to meet graduation requirements or if they need the free hour to stay under the state regents' rule of no more than 18 hours.
1 Desktop Publish & Graphics Per:1 Crs:8149NEO
Sec:005 Ses:1-2 Instructor, NEO - 00068 UK M, T, W, Th, F 1/4/2022
2 NEO Concurrent Per:2 Crs:7051500 Sec:002 Ses:1-2 Instructor, NEO UK M, T, W, Th,
3 Algebra II Per:3 Crs:4412 Sec:002 Ses:1-2 M, T, W, Th, F
4 Leadership Per:4 Crs:2745L Sec:001 Ses:1-2 M, T, W, Th, F
5 AP English Language Per:5 Crs:4057 Sec:002 Ses:1-2 M, T, W, Th, F
6 Art II/Studio Art Per:6 Crs:2809 Sec:001 Ses:1-2 M, T, W, Th, F
7 Biology II Per:7 Crs:5032 Sec:004 Ses:1-2 M, T, W, Th, F
Publish & Graphics 2 Instructor, NEO - 00068 UK M, T, W, Th, F 1/4/2022 (Empty) (Empty) 6/30/2022

1) Travel
2) Comp I
3) College Algebra
4) Human Anatomy
5) Government
6) Strength Condition
If a student is taking two concurrent classes in a semester do you enroll them in high school classes also?  YES - they still need to be enrolled in 6 hours.  You subtract 1 hour of travel and the number of concurrent classes they are taking from 6 and they will need to take that many classes at the high school.
Do you give students any drive time?   Yes, one hour.
Do you give students one hour of drive time, no matter how many classes they are taking? Yes, they only get one hour of drive time.
Do you give two hours of drive time if they are taking two classes? NO
Do you give students drive time if the course is online? YES
These are a couple of my schedules.  I only give one hour of travel regardless of the number of concurrent classes.  I don't give travel if a class is online.  Hope this helps.

Any information received from this email address should be viewed strictly as suggestions, and should NOT be interpreted as legally binding answers

Sabrina Wood
Coordinator of Student Preparation for College Readiness
swood at osrhe.edu
665 Research Parkway, Suite 200
Oklahoma City, OK 73104
www.okhighered.org/student-prep