[Counselors] FW: Val/Sal Policy

OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Thu Jan 20 16:48:08 CST 2022

SELECTION OF VALEDICTORIAN AND SALUTATORIAN Beginning with the class of 2012 a weighted system will be used to determine the Valedictorian and Salutatorian. The selection of the Valedictorian and Salutatorian shall be made on the basis of grades for the 9th, 10th, 11th, and first semester of the 12th grade. The school has the right to revoke the status of a Valedictorian or a Salutatorian if the senior’s 2nd-semester grades make him or her ineligible for the honor. No student shall be considered for this honor unless they have attended for the three previous semesters. No Student shall be considered unless they have taken the College Bound Curriculum as set forth by the State Department of Education. No student will be eligible for this honor that chooses to graduate early (before their senior year – 12th grade). This is primarily because the selection must be based on a seven-semester transcript. The point system to be used in the selection is as follows: Regular Classes A=4 B=3 C=2 D=1 and F=0 Honor’s Classes A= 5 B = 4 C = 3 D = 2 Honor’s courses will consist of all AP courses, all OSSM courses, Trig/PreCalc, Physics, and College Courses taken through an accredited Oklahoma University. A maximum of the first two credits of honors courses taken will be weighted as honors. All additional honors courses will be weighted as follows: A=4 B=4 C=3 D=2 and F=0.

We go for a point system for Val/Sal purposes. So for example we a weighted A+ would be 15 points a nonweighted A+ is 12. and the scoring goes down accordingly. After each semester is calculated and added up you then divide the number of classes they had to see who did better in their classes on average. We stop in December and it is calculated. So this means we have to get percentages from their concurrent courses, which can be difficult but still doable. In May, what goes on their final transcript is GPA.  The point system is for graduation purposes only.......I bet I have an old transcript that I've calculated if you would like a copy. I only calculate the ones that are in the running. Our students with the highest GPA aren't necessarily the val or the sal!!!! In my junior class I have one with straight A+ and two that have an A for one class in one semester with the rest all being A+'s....for the junior class it will be a tight race.
Danielle Tucker, M. ED.
Counselor
Administrative Representative
Navajo Schools
dtucker at navajo.k12.ok.us<mailto:dtucker at navajo.k12.ok.us>
580-482-7742
"Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't."
Bill Nye