[Counselors] Graduating Early Responses

OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Wed Dec 6 08:27:04 CST 2023

Hey!
I have a freshman who would like to skip a grade and graduate a year early. I have never dealt with this before, I was wondering if any other counselors had and what are the rules on this?

  *   What does your Board Policy state about early graduation? I would start there. If they do allow it, I would look at the number of credits earned.

  *   It is up to your district if they have an acceleration policy.  I had a student who accelerated last year.  Our district policy states you have to have a certain number of credits (usually an amount going into junior year) and parent and student have to sit down with counselor and principal or vice-principal to make a plan and everyone has to approve and sign off on the plan.