[Counselors] Need advice - transcript homeroom

OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Tue May 30 14:11:12 CDT 2023

Hello All!
I hope everyone is enjoying your last few days of the school year or your first few days of summer! Can anyone provide any feedback for this email below?

Our school has an Advocacy class (pretty much like a homeroom). Ours is everyday for 25 minutes. We do ICAP, college and career going culture projects and other large school things through Advocacy. Grade checks, calls to parents, work on missing assignments, etc. The teachers have the same kids all four years of high school.

There is talk now from the Superintendent and my principals of possibly making this a class that gets a grade. This is more to try to force the students to be more involved, not skip, be where they are supposed to be.

Does anyone give credit for a course like this?
Looking for pros/cons.
My thoughts went to more a Pass or Fail but NO credit given at all but it goes on their report card and transcript. -Can we even do that?

Here are my quick thoughts:
My district is already a 7 hour credit day. I don't want Advocacy replacing an elective credit.
It will require the teachers to have to "plan" for another class.
2 grades minimum is our district policy. -again, planning
Lesson plans will be required for that class now.
I already have teachers that do nothing in advocacy. I don't want a teacher giving a passing grade for something they aren't doing.

Any advice will be taken!!