[Counselors] NAIA and NCAA Foreign Language Responses #2

OSRHEStudent Prep PK-12 Counselor Discussion Board counselors at lists.onenet.net
Mon Feb 12 09:52:14 CST 2024

Is anyone familiar with the rules about taking a foreign language course in high school so that a student can play college sports?

  *   It's crucial for us to ensure that students not only comprehend the rules and guidelines but also become proficient in navigating them. This entails providing accurate guidance and resources, which empower students to become experts in their high school planning and college inquiries. By understanding the rules and requirements for high school and actively engaging in the process, students take ownership of their educational journey and develop essential skills for success. http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Student_Resources/CBSA.pdf - Sabrina Wood

[cid:image002.jpg at 01DA5D99.1EC16060]

Page 10 of Guide for the college-bound student-athlete

  *   I did a little bit of research on this myself yesterday too. I did find out that if the college is a JUCO and is NJCAA they just have to have a high school diploma to be eligible. The NCAA D1 and D2 colleges are the ones that require a foreign language credit. I will link the NJCAA eligibility requirements below. We don't have many students that go on to play college ball, but we've had some that mainly go to Murray State and they are NJCAA, which prompted me to check on that. Hope this helps!
https://www.njcaa.org/compete/faqs
NJCAA Eligibility Requirements https://www.njcaa.org/compete/faqs
www.njcaa.org<http://www.njcaa.org>

  *   CAA Division I Worksheet
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/DI_and_DII_Worksheet.pdf

  *   Please consult the 2023-24 NCAA Guide For High School Counselors @ www.ncaa.org<http://www.ncaa.org/<www.ncaa.org%3chttp:/www.ncaa.org/>.   Also, check a specific college's website for any possible additional requirements.

Sabrina Wood
Coordinator of Student Preparation for College Readiness
655 Research Parkway, Suite 200
Oklahoma City, OK 73104
swood at osrhe.edu<mailto:swood at osrhe.edu>
https://www.okhighered.org/student-prep/