[DSIG] Fw: [livereference] "EZProxify" tool upgraded for bit.ly

cashe at tulsacc.edu cashe at tulsacc.edu
Thu Oct 13 13:42:04 CDT 2011

Sharing this email.

----- Forwarded by Casey Ashe/LRC/tcc on 10/13/2011 01:42 PM -----

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Pardue, Bill" <bpardue at ahml.info>
To: "'Discussion of digital reference services' (DIG_REF at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU)"
<DIG_REF at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>; "'livereference at yahoogroups.com'"
<livereference at yahoogroups.com>; "QUESTIONPOINT-L at OCLC.ORG"
<QUESTIONPOINT-L at OCLC.ORG>; 'AskAway listserv (E-mail)'
<isl-AskAway at islemail.org>; "collaborative-vr at listsmart.osl.state.or.us"
<collaborative-vr at listsmart.osl.state.or.us>;
"summonclients-request at lists.summon.serialssolutions.com"
<summonclients-request at lists.summon.serialssolutions.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 8, 2011 5:20 PM
Subject: [livereference] "EZProxify" tool upgraded for bit.ly

Apologies for cross-posting.

A long time ago, I kind of put together a little bookmarklet tool I called
EZProxify.  It basically added your EZProxy prefix to any URL and shortened
it for easy sending in chats, emails, etc.  It was built on TinyURL and
worked fine (and still works fine).  However, I wanted to create a version
built on bit.ly, since that lets you create custom URLs & QR codes, track
usage, etc.  You can see the results at
http://community.ahml.info/ezproxify.html.

Keep in mind that the link on that page only works for Arlington Heights’
EZProxy configuration.

You can pretty easily create your own version by adding the following link
to a web page your staff has access to:

(location.href='http://bitly.com/http://ezproxy.yourlibrary.org:####/login?url='+location.href)
">EZProxify (bit.ly)</a>

Just replace “ezproxy.yourlibrary.org:####” with the appropriate ezproxy
address and port number for your own configuration.  If you use a different
proxy server and it uses the same type of URLs, I expect you could modify
it for that, too.  Your staff members need only drag the link to their
links/bookmarks bars.  I’ve tested in IE9, Chrome and Firefox.

When you’re on a page, just click on the “EZProxify (bit.ly)” button and it
will take you to a bit.ly page for that address.  You do need to do one
more click to actually shorten (if anyone knows a way to get past that from
the bookmark, please post!).

This won’t work for EVERY product, and some (like EBSCO) now generate their
own permalinks that include proxy server prefixes, but this is still a nice
tool to have around!

--Bill Pardue

 (Embedded image moved to file:    |Bill Pardue (Embedded image moved to
 pic31092.jpg)Description:         |file: pic02160.jpg)Description:
 cid:image001.jpg at 01CB9252.F799B390|cid:image002.jpg at 01CB9252.F799B390
                                   |Reference & Virtual Services Supervisor
                                   |847.506.2667 • bpardue at ahml.info
                                   |500 N. Dunton Avenue • Arlington Heights,
                                   |IL 60004
                                   |twitter: @billahml fb:
                                   |www.facebook.com/bpardue
                                   |www.ahml.info   (Embedded image moved to
                                   |file: pic07479.jpg)Description:
                                   |cid:image003.jpg at 01CB9252.F799B390
                                   |(Embedded image moved to file:
                                   |pic17244.jpg)Description:
                                   |cid:image004.jpg at 01CB9252.F799B390

__._,_.___
Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:
New Members 1
Visit Your Group
MARKETPLACE
Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get
the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

(Embedded image moved to file: pic17760.gif)Yahoo! Groups

.