[Eoscstudents] Black History Awareness

Levenia Carey lcarey at eosc.edu
Wed Feb 28 12:28:29 CST 2007

I know you probably feel that your email is overflowing with Black
History - that's a good thing, it lets you know that there is so much
information out there.  We hope you have enjoyed reading and learning
more about Black History.  We have only tipped the iceberg - we hope
your curiousity has been peaked and that you will seek out additional
information.  Here are two more articles we would like to share with you.

BLACK HISTORY MONTH

QUICK FACTS

DID YOU KNOW?

In 1867 * The first black college was founded in Tennessee, and still in
existence, is Fisk University.   Although work on the founding of the
school was begun in October 1865, it did not become incorporated under
the laws of the State of Tennessee until August 22, 1867, under the
auspices of the American Missionary Association.  The institution opened
on January 9, 1866.  It was named in honor of General Clinton B. Fisk of
the Freedmen's Bureau.

  Sidney Poitier Biography (1924- )

Actor, director. Born February 20, 1927 in Miami, Florida. Born
prematurely on the high seas en route to Miami, Poitier grew up in The
Bahamas. His youth was filled with delinquency, and his parents
eventually sent him to live with his brother in Florida at age 16.
Poitier served a short stint in the United States Army before moving to
New York to pursue an acting career.

A student at the American Negro Theater in New York City, Poitier
appeared on stage and in films before making his Hollywood debut in
1950. Cast mainly in supporting roles, he won an Oscar for Lilies of the
Field (1963). The win marked the first Oscar awarded to a black actor
and made Poitier cinema's first African American superstar, one who
consciously defied racial stereotyping. Handsome and unassuming, he
brought dignity to the portrayal of noble and intelligent characters,
including Philadelphia detective Virgil Tibbs in In the Heat of the
Night (1967). Other notable films include The Defiant Ones and Guess
Who's Coming to Dinner (1967).

During the 1970s he also began to direct, producing a number of lowbrow
comedies such as the successful Richard Pryor-Gene Wilder vehicle Stir
Crazy (1980) and Ghost Dad (1990). He returned to acting after a 10-year
absence, appearing in Shoot to Kill (1988), Little Nikita (1988),
Sneakers (1992), and One Man, One Vote (1997). In 2001, he received a
Grammy Award for Best Spoken Word Album for his autobiographical book
The Measure of a Man. In 2002, he received and an honorary Oscar.

Poitier was married to Juanita Hardy from 1950 until 1965; the couple
has four children. He is currently married to Canadian-born actress
Joanna Shimkus, they have two children. He was appointed a Knight
Commander of the British Empire in 1974, which entitles him to use the
title "Sir," though he chooses not to do so. He has also served as
non-resident Bahamian ambassador to Japan and to the United Nations
Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.

  Thanks for reading and learning more about Black History.

Levenia, Marilynn, Brenton, NAACP-Psycho Clubs
<>