[Eoscstudents] TRIO Day

Sue Lovett slovett at eosc.edu
Wed Jan 20 08:56:18 CST 2010

National Trio Day is February 17th, and as usual, Student Support
Services will be taking students to the State Capitol that day.  For
those of you who are not familiar with the program, Trio Day celebrates
the student assistance programs and attempts to bring awareness of our
programs and our students' needs.  Our programs have a responsibility in
shaping the leaders of tomorrow and in helping our students reach their
fullest potentials.

The students who attend National TRiO Day at the capitol are benefited
because:
    1.   They get to hear some of our most prominent state/regional (and
sometimes national) leaders speak
    2.   They get to hear success stories from students just like
themselves.
    3.   They get to experience the sites & sounds of the day, from
sitting in the House of Representatives chambers, to seeing several
hundred TRiO students from across the state converge for one common event..
    4.   They get to help with the TRiO Service Project (working with
the Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma this year.)

Our programs benefit because:
    1.   We get exposure for TRiO programs.  We make the newscasts and
newspapers, allowing more people to become aware of TRiO programs and
the opportunities that are provided.  Among other things, this helps to
ensure that we are reaching as many students in our target populations
as possible.
    2.   While it is held at our state capitol, our elected
representatives at the Federal level are invited to participate.  Even
when they cannot attend, they are kept up to date with information from
TRiO Day.
    3.   Many of our Federal representatives get their start at the sate
level.  Therefore, if we can make them aware of us now, we may have
another ally in Washington D.C. in the future.
    4.   TRiO Day is actually a national event.  Each state does things
a little differently, but we each have similar goals.

TRiO Day is fast approaching, so if you are interested in attending with
us, please come by the SSS offices and sign up.  McAlester and Idabel
students can call 918-465-1823 or 918-465-1822 to sign up.  We will stop
in McAlester to pick students up at the Tandy Town Shopping Center in
front of McDonalds.

We would like to extend an invitation to Eastern's Administration to
attend with us.   If you will let me know, I can make arrangements for
you to be on the floor of the chambers.

Please give me a call at extension 823 if you have any questions.

Sue Lovett, Director
Student Support Services