[Eoscstudents] Menu for Tues. June 15

Rhoda Watkins rwatkins at eosc.edu
Tue Jun 15 09:58:58 CDT 2010

Hi folks,

Anyone remember in the Peanuts cartoon, how Snoopy would start his novel
with "It was a dark and stormy night..."  He could've been describing
last night for sure.  (And yesterday evening was pretty wild, too!  My
daughter had been in town and saw the dark clouds coming up and said it
reminded her of "the Nothing" from the Never-ending Story.)  I know it
got pretty wild last night because even though I can sleep through it
somewhat, I got woke up by our little storm-phobic schnauzer jumping up
on the side of the bed and getting on my pillow to shiver like crazy.
She starts getting nervous when the first cloud comes up.  And even if
it just rains, she knows that's when thunder and lightning usually
happen, and tries to go find a good hiding spot.

We really got off light compared to a large portion of the state, where
there was severe flooding.  I saw on the news yesterday evening (before
we lost signal) where a young woman was almost swept away in the
floodwaters near Oklahoma City, and thought, "Lord, if I ever do have
that 15 minutes of fame everyone is supposed to get, don't let it be
like that!"  She seemed pretty calm, considering the danger she was in.
I'd've been a full-blown basket case!  And when rescuers finally did get
to her, their boat capsized and they ALL had to be rescued by another
group of rescuers!

Man, it's hard to believe it's the middle of June already!  I've already
seen fireworks stands being moved into place in preparation for 4th of
July sales in a week or so.  Gear Up camp is finished for the summer,
SHINE camp is underway, and Upward Bound will be here for a few more
weeks.  After that there will be a short lull before the Singing School
campers come the last week of July.

Our menu for today includes:
          Meatloaf
          Au gratin potatoes
          Peas
          Fried okra
          Hot rolls

And for dessert, try some Pumpkin Pie Cake.