[Eoscstudents] final count: Cranes Project

Ruth Brelsford rbrelsford at eosc.edu
Wed May 11 10:05:24 CDT 2011

A huge thank you to all who participated in the 1000 Paper Cranes Disaster
Relief Project!  A special thanks to Maria Martinez and Maria (Gabby) Arroyo
in the Library for hosting the first crane folding demo and for Gabby's
beautiful display/bulletin board highlighting the project.

Our total donation is $2679.51 with OU raising $445 and EOSC raising
$2234.51!  We folded 611 cranes and Kelbie's efforts netted 500 cranes.  We
are proud of our combined efforts and grateful for the generous hearts in
Wilburton, OK.

Kasumi expressed her gratitude as we took her to the airport on Monday
afternoon and she headed back to Tokyo.  She said "These two years have been
very precious."  For those of you who know her, that is a very lo-o-o-ng
sentence coming from Kasumi.

I often wondered about these students (most of whom came from Japan) in the
beginning, what will they think of America as they grow older when the
majority of their experience in America was on the Wilburton campus of
Eastern Oklahoma State College?

Choi said it very well:  "I learned so many things from you at Eastern like
not only education but how to treat people kindly."

Thank you all for your generosity and your prayers symbolized by the
beautiful cranes which are symbols for Hope and Peace, world-wide.

--rb