[Eoscstudents] Monthly Safety Email

Bryan Denny bdenny at eosc.edu
Tue May 3 13:32:48 CDT 2016

Students, Faculty, and Staff,

This month is suicide awareness month.  Through the Choctaw Nation and the Tomorrow’s Hope Grant, we will hold a Suicide awareness art contest today at 2:00 in the Cafeteria, training for R.A.’s and other interested students at 2:00 in Mitchell Hall 206 at 2:00 on Wednesday, and a guest lecture on suicide awareness and prevention on Thursday in the Mitchell Auditorium by Dr. Dan Denny, distinguished Alumni.  Through this grant we have also provided a new lounge for current and former military and law enforcement personnel as they are at the greatest risk.

Here are some statistics concerning suicide:

The annual age-adjusted suicide rate is 12.93 per 100,000 individuals.  Men die by suicide 3.5x more often than women.  On average, there are 117 suicides per day.  White males accounted for 7 of 10 suicides in 2014.  Firearms account for almost 50% of all suicides.  The rate of suicide is highest in middle age — white men in particular.

Risk Factors and Warning signs for suicide can be found at:

http://afsp.org/about-suicide/risk-factors-and-warning-signs/

Thank you for your time.

--
 Bryan E. Denny M.S.
COP Director/Criminal Justice Chair/Chief of Police