[Eoscstudents] Mass Communication Spring Class Opportunities

Kristen Turner kturner at eosc.edu
Thu Nov 2 09:50:51 CDT 2023

As you all prepare your spring schedules, I wanted to remind you about the
classes we offer in the Mass Comm program. While I would love to have you
as a major (common areas include public relations, advertising,
photography, graphic arts, video production, journalism, and radio), you *don't
have to be a major *to take any of these classes.

The Intro to Mass Communication course will count as a General Education
elective for several degree plans, and any of these classes will count
toward the *General Studies Major Field*. Also, we are always looking for
interns and student workers for Mountaineer Radio and TV
<http://www.radio.eosc.edu/watch>.

The majority of these courses use a Cengage textbook (NOT MindTap), so if
you already have Unlimited or are taking another course with Cengage, you
will not have to pay extra for the ebook. In the fall semester, we are
offering the following classes:

*MCOMM 1223 Video Production II* (MW 10-11:15 a.m.) - You do *NOT* have to
take Video Production I before taking this class. This is a great course if
you want to learn the theory and practice of basic video production
techniques in television and post-production.* This course uses a Cengage
textbook.*

*MCOMM 1143 Fundamentals of Public Relations* (ONLINE) - Use of tools and
techniques to support public relations programs. Attention is given to
objectives, content, style, and graphic presentation to interpret
organizational policies to internal and external publics through mass and
specialized media. *This course uses a Cengage textbook. *

*MCOMM 2033 Writing for Mass Media *(MW 11:30-12:45 *Hybrid class will meet
face to face on Wednesdays only*) - Introduction to media writing:
expository and persuasive formats: supervised practice in writing that
informs, entertains, and/or persuades across all media platforms; study of
professional demands of organizing and presenting information in various
media with an emphasis on grammar usage and mechanics. *This course uses a
Cengage textbook. *

*MCOMM 1113 Introduction to Mass Communication* (2nd 8 weeks - ONLINE) -
This very interesting course gives you an overall view of the mass media
and how society is affected. This course is a general education elective
for many majors. *This course uses a Cengage textbook. *

*MCOMM 1101 Publication Production* - (T 10-11:15 a.m.) - This is a
great class for students interested in writing, photography, web design,
video production, or social media management.

Please contact me if you have any questions, and always speak with your
advisor before enrolling.

--

Kristen E. Turner

Dean of Language, Humanities, and Education

Professor of Mass Communication and Speech

P: 918-465-1720 | Baker Hall 124

Eastern Oklahoma State College

eosc.edu <http://www.eosc.edu> | radio.eosc.edu <http://www.radio.eosc.edu/>