[Lu_faculty] Budget Crunch Mtg.

James Showalter jimshowalter48 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 25 15:04:37 CDT 2016

3-15-16  Fri // 1:13 p.Faculty,This week President Smith sent out a call for a Langston University town hall meeting to be held on Monday, March 28,  from 8 - 9:00 a.m. It is to discuss the ongoing budget crisis.  I strongly urge faculty to attend.
On the Langston campus it will take place in the Multi-Purpose building.  On the Tulsa and Oklahoma City campuses it will be held in their respective video conferencing rooms.
>From Monday through Wednesday of this past week a budget crisis group drawn from all segments of the Langston University community met, hammering out a very specific set of cuts.  We had to meet a State Regents' demand for a proposed 2017 budget with a 12% cut, that on top of all the cuts we've already taken this year.   It was hard, frustrating task and it led to wide discussions.  No one got what they wanted but we got to the 12% cuts.
The meeting Monday will not be the final word -- most of us expect more cuts than this -- but it can be the time we truly establish a dialog within our University community.  For those who hold to theories that everything will be cut except administrative departments,  come and listen and, if need be, challenge the presenters.   I will state that every Vice President had to make the same 12% cuts.
We now have an administration and a process that seek to be transparent and seek to hear ideas from faculty and staff.   It is our responsibility as members of the Langston University community to participate and be informed on this critical matter.
Please do attend the meeting Monday at 8 a.m.
Sincerely,
Jim ShowalterChair, Faculty Senate