[Oacrao-l] Asking applicants if they have a felony

Adam Johnson ADJohnson at uco.edu
Thu Dec 5 11:50:45 CST 2019

Good morning, all!

Like many of you, UCO asks admission applicants if they have committed a felony.   There have been some folks on campus who have questioned whether or not it's been helpful/useful for the institution rather than a possible hindrance or barrier for students.  Our Student Conduct office as well as staff from our Legal department have mentioned that this has been a national conversation (to question whether or not it should be included), so I thought I would ask you all as well.  So...

Do you ask your applicants if they have committed a felony, and if so, do you feel it's been helpful at all? If it has, can you elaborate how?  Likewise, if you felt it's been a barrier of any kind, I'd appreciate it if you could share those experiences as well.  For what it's worth, we're digging into some data to see how our students who've marked "yes" on the application have performed (# of hours, GPAs, if they persist, graduate, etc).  We don't have that data yet, however.

Thanks, and I hope everyone is enjoying the tail end of the fall semester!

Adam Johnson, Ed.D.
Associate Vice President/Registrar
100 N. University Drive,
NUC 118A, Box 151