[Oacrao-l] Incomplete Policy

Dyer, Kellie J. kdyer at ou.edu
Mon Mar 2 13:15:11 CST 2020

Copied our policy below. :)

"I" is a neutral mark and means incomplete. It is not an alternative to a grade of F, and no student may be failing a course at the time an "I" grade is awarded. To receive an "I" grade, the student should have satisfactorily completed a substantial portion of the required course work for the semester. The university-wide Incomplete Contract Form that all instructional faculty are required to use when assigning a grade of INCOMPLETE, effective with the Fall 2014 semester, includes a grade if the work is not turned in by this date (Cannot be an "I"). The instructor will indicate to the student and to the Office of the Registrar what must be done to complete the course and set a time limit appropriate to the circumstances. However, the time limit allowed may not exceed one calendar year. If by the end of the year no change in grade has been submitted, the grade of "I" will be changed to the pre-determined permanent grade from the Incomplete Contract. If the professor does not turn in an Incomplete Contract, the student's grade will be changed to an F after the allotted one-year time period. After a grade of "I" has been changed, a student may re-enroll in the course if appropriate or required. The foregoing time limitations concerning removal of an Incomplete do not apply to graduate research and graduate problem courses.

Graduate College "I": With the approval of the instructor and Graduate College Dean, a graduate student may be granted up to a one-year extension for making up incomplete work. No petitions for extensions beyond one year will be considered. After the incomplete work is made up, the instructor shall promptly report the new grade to the Office of the Registrar so that it can be posted to the student's transcript. In any case, the new grade must be posted to the student's transcript within one year of the deadline for making up the incomplete work (including any extension, if granted). If the new grade has not been posted within this one-year time period, the student shall have one additional year in which to file an appeal with the Graduate Dean requesting that the proper grade be posted. If no such appeal is received by the Graduate Dean within this second year time period, the grade of "I" shall be changed to the pre-determined permanent grade.

All instructional faculty are required to use the university-wide Incomplete Contract Form (PDF)<https://www.ou.edu/content/dam/portal/PACAA/Incomplete%20Contract%202.12.15%20fillable.pdf> when assigning a grade of Incomplete. This document protects both faculty and students by documenting circumstances that led to the assignment of an Incomplete grade.

If an incomplete is received, the "I" grade remains on the student's record and the final grade is next to the "I" (example I/B).

Kellie Dyer
Registrar
Office of the Registrar | Division of Enrollment Management
THE UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA
ou.edu/registrar | (405) 325-5963
230 Buchanan Hall

Enrollment Management Values: Integrity + Care + Intentionality + Innovation