[Oacrao-l] State Department of Education Alternate Diploma

Beauchamp, Stephanie sbeauchamp at osrhe.edu
Tue Oct 10 15:18:18 CDT 2023

Colleagues,

During a recent Tri-Agency meeting a question regarding how the use of the alternate diploma will affect admission to colleges/universities.  Although it is a state-recognized diploma, it is not a standard/regular diploma.

For background, HB 1041, which became effective July 1, 2023, allows individual school districts to issue alternate diplomas.  Following are some sections from HB 1041:

Section 1(E): A school district can issue an alternate diploma to a student with significant cognitive disabilities who participates in the Oklahoma Alternate Assessment Program (OAAP) by the school year in which the student turns twenty-two (22) years of age. The alternate diploma must be standards-based and aligned with requirements for a standard diploma.

Section 1(I): To earn an alternate diploma, a student must complete specific sets of competencies or curriculum units in language arts, math, science, social studies, arts, computer education or world language, career readiness, and life skills.

I've also attached a PDF from the State Department of Education's website that lists the coursework requirements.

Admittedly I do not know much about this new type of diploma but thought I would reach out to all of you in case any of you have had discussions on your campus and/or can provide any insight.

Stephanie Beauchamp, Ed.D.
Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
655 Research Parkway, Suite 200
Oklahoma City, OK 73104-3603
*405.225.9399 | *sbeauchamp at osrhe.edu<mailto:sbeauchamp at osrhe.edu> |*www.okhighered.org<http://www.okhighered.org/>

follow us on Twitter @okhighered

 [cid:image005.png at 01D8B884.BA0BF7D0]      [logo_owhe]