[Oasfaa] Illegal Aliens Question

Sherry Foster sfoster at sosu.edu
Fri Apr 21 13:32:50 CDT 2006

Good Afternoon:

This email is in response to the questions I asked yesterday.  Thanks to all of you who answered -- with your suggestions and opinions.  I received a phone call from Dave Elliott, who made a lot of sense.  Here is what Dave said:  On the first scenario, illegal or not, need to document income on parent.  Also said needed to get a formal acknowledgement from Mother that she and Dad were really separated -- not just in different countries.  As for the fake ss# - you can enter all zeroes in the ss# question for Mother.  Didn't feel like we should penalize the student -- who is trying to get an education.  Then there is the question about the amount of money the Mother had earned.  She would be required to file taxes, so we are basically stuck!  Mom actually earned over $18,000 so she would be required to file -- after Jeff Baker's update, I think we have to be the Income Tax Police.

Second scenario was little easier.  Documentation is the key and we all know that.  We need to document the marriage, first and then a written statement, if the student has not filed for divorce or legal separation, on the separation will work.  Any income that has been given to the student should be shown in Worksheet B.

Hope this helps on the beautiful Friday afternoon.  I am definitely looking forward to the weekend!  Thanks to Dave Elliott and everyone else who responded.

Sherry

Sherry Foster
Director of Student Financial Aid
Southeastern Oklahoma State University