[Oasfaa] privacy question

Hollingsworth, Larry larry.hollingsworth at swosu.edu
Tue Feb 28 14:24:33 CST 2006

Hi Folks,

We've been pretty strict about faxing information to students, but are
wondering if we're overdoing it. Is there anyone out there that faxes an
award letter to a student if he/she requests one? I'm concerned about
release of confidential information to an unknown source (you think it's
the student, but how do you really know?). While we have removed SSN's
from our award letters, obviously we still have award amounts which I'm
thinking are subject to privacy laws. Therefore, I am hesitant to fax an
award letter. Is that being too strict? If you do fax award letters,
where do you draw the line and say no to a faxing request - only if it
involves the SSN or income information?

Thanks,

Larry