[Oasfaa] Guarantor Question

Hollingsworth, Larry larry.hollingsworth at swosu.edu
Thu Mar 2 09:26:54 CST 2006

Just a point of clarification so that we don't mix apples and oranges
here. One issue is what the lenders are doing about the origination fee,
while the other issue is what the guarantors are doing about the
guarantee fee.

Many if not most lenders have indicated their decision to "pay the 3%
origination fee for the student" as one press release said. Obviously,
this allows the student to receive more of their loan proceeds. Lenders
have decided to do so at no small cost to them in order to stay
competitive with other lenders. It's not their favorite course of
action, but should they not do so, they risk loosing business to
competitors. And that is a risk they do not want to take. How long they
can and/or will continue this action is yet to be seen. But the fact is
for 2006-07, the student's choice of a lender can make a difference in
how much their loan check will be.

At the same time, it appears that the schools choice of a guarantor can
make a difference in how much a student's loan check will be. Mary has
correctly pointed out that guarantors are required by law to collect the
1% guarantee fees. That point is not in question. The original question
was asking for discussion about what schools will do if some guarantors
opt to reimburse the student for the 1% guarantee fee while other
guarantors choose not to so. Maybe the school's decision is on this
issue is simply a matter of location. By that I mean if you live in a
state where the guarantor reimburses the student the 1% fee then your
students fortunately get that benefit. On the other hand, if you live in
a state where the guarantor does not reimburse the student, then your
students are out of luck.

We all want to do what will be in the best interest of our students.
Certainly money issues and service issues are both part of the mix as we
think through our options. Thanks to all for any comments regarding the
options (if more than one option exits) which are being considered by
different schools.

Larry