[Oasfaa] Transferring student - can she get aid???

Jonna L. Raney jlraney at stgregorys.edu
Thu Sep 7 11:23:56 CDT 2006

Many of you asked me to report back on the question about whether the
"transferring" student can receive aid at my school.  Some of you said
yes, most said no.  See below for the response from Joe Williams (who
consulted w/ Kevin Campbell) from the DOE.

Of course, all this is a mute point now, because (as Pam McConahay
predicted) now the student has decided to stay here and get her
Associate's degree before she transfers to OU.  Good luck w/ this one
Pam!  I spent a lot of time on this yesterday only to be yelled at by an
out-of-control student  and now I will end up giving her aid anyway.  I
did, however, require a notarized letter from her stating that she
intends to complete the program here and she understands that it is
illegal to receive federal aid funds from a school in which she doesn't
intend to get a degree from. Secondly, I told her that if I believe at
any time that she misrepresented herself, I would be forced to report
her as a possible fraud case to the DOE.  She flinched a little, but her
plan is to proceed with the scam.  :-)

Have a great day and thanks to everyone who chimed in,
Jonna